Standardizing Data Sets for Consistent Analysis
It is common to encounter data sources that were not prepared consistently.
IDM can 'normalize' this content using our extensive expertise in data standardization. After initial analysis and close consultation, your IDM Expert will recommend the most economical and efficient method to convert your data to a uniform, trustworthy format.
Examples of Data Normalization include:
- Production Standardization – productions received from multiple parties can often be inconsistent. An IDM Expert can help create organization out of chaos. Varying fielded data files can be mapped to create normalized load files and disparate production formats can be made consistent.
- Excel Spreadsheets – large and cumbersome spreadsheets can be converted into fielded searchable databases
- Name standardization – inconsistent name formatting can be standardized within name fields so that sorting and search results are correct and dependable
- Database Quality Control – if there is doubt about the original bibliographical coding integrity, IDM can quality control each record against the record's images and correct the data
- Unitization Review – databases with unreliable unitization can be reviewed and logically re-unitized. Useful fielded information from the original database is preserved and incorporated into the new unitization
- Control Number Resolution – duplicate and overlapping beginning and ending Control or Production Numbers can be resolved and corrected; Prefixes and Number formats can be standardized to insure proper sorting.